Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Aviator's Wife Book Review

Melanie Benjamin gives a vivid look to the inside world of 'Lucky Lindy' (Charles Lindbergh) and his wife. If you are relatively young like I am, you don't necessarily realize the magnitude and celebrity of this aviator during his time. He just seems to be lost in the blur of name in your history book.

I don't know what made me pick this book up but I am SOOO glad I did. I couldn't imagine how emotionally invested I became in Anne Lindbergh and her all-consuming relationship. As I read about the governor's daughter immersing herself in the celebrity of this golden hair man, it put a lot of things into perspective.

As Anne describes in the book, some men have a 'god complex' and are constantly trying to mold you into their image. Young Anne allowed herself to be defined as 'the aviator's wife.' The story follows her as a young girl meeting Charles for the first time, their fairytale love story blossoming, and their tragic kidnapping. I can not stress enough how captivating this novel is.

No comments:

Post a Comment