Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Queen movie review

So, if you know me, you may be familiar with my slight obsession with English monarchs. I ordered The Queen off of my Netflix DVD queue because it is a movie about Queen Elizabeth. Played by Helen Mirren, the movie showcases the Queen dealing with the nation after the death of Princess Diana.

I was absolutely fascinated by the idea of that the movie because Princess Di's death did not only affect the U.K., it threw the entire Western world in a tizzy.
I vaguely remembered the news coverage as a child and now, as an adult, the this movie offered a glimpse into the household that might had to deal with an immense amount of grief while still being in the public eye.

Too bad it was boring as all hell.

Well, 'boring' isn't the right word. I appreciated Mirren's performance but the story arc itself was just super understated and slow. And I can enjoy a good understated film (Lars and the Real Girl anyone?). I guess I just hyped myself up thinking there was going to be a bit more drama and female empowering monologues/speeches (I mean it is about the queen of England).

All in all, I know this isn't a super in-depth review... I just wanted to come on here and rant about my disappointment. It was a fair movie though. It wasn't horrible... just underwhelming. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment