Friday, February 7, 2014

Netflix Review: The Bling Ring

I know I'm literally the only person in the world that gets Netflix DVD sent to the house but I like the wide selection available to you and I can't justify paying extra for streaming. No one has time for 10 hour binge fests. So getting that red mailer every other day sort of reminds me to take time out and enjoy a movie.

This week I had the chance of watching The Bling Ring.
The 2013 dark comedy stars some familiar faces like Emma Watson, Taissa Farmiga (American Horror Story), Leslie Mann, Gavin Rosedale and it introduced others like Katie Chang and Israel Broussard.

The Sofia Coppola directed film is based on a true story of a couple of teenagers that robbed high profile celebrities by just walking into their unlocked houses. The amateur criminals would get their hands on expensive clothes, jewelry and shoes: every high schoolers dream right? Some of their victims included Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Orlando Bloom.

 I thought this film was a statement about our generation's obsession with celebrity idolatry and the pervasive media images that sells you that life. When did we not become content with being us? The two main characters, Marc and Rebecca are product examples of our photoshopped model-esqued media messages. And when I say media messages, I include everything from music, news, ads, movies... it seems like everything has to sensationalized and 'sexy.'

Rebecca is obsessed with clamoring to a more glamorous life while Marc is dissatified with his 'aveage' looks. And the movie makes it clear that each one of the vapid teens are obsessed with their social media presence, trying to attain some 'FaceBook' fame.

All in all, I would recommend this movie if you are into quirky films.

No comments:

Post a Comment